paypal     RegisterRegister   Log inLog in    styles1/4 Mile
teamshock Forum Index -> Car Chit-Chat -> My farewell message
My farewell message

nick Posted: 10am Thu (07/01/16), Location: Reading
TeamShock Admin

Picture resized

After 14 years of ownership today I sign over my MR2 to its new owner, not a decision I took easily and not one I did without a heavy heart. As a fitting tribute I thought I would end it with a post where it all started, TeamShock.

To the majority of people selling a car is a unemotional process, but I'm guessing if you are reading this you're as much of a car nut as me? If not now might be a good time to close the page because I'm going to babble on for a little while yet...

With the exception of a short period of Honda ownership I've become quite attached to all the cars I've owned, none of which we're ever left standard, least of all the MR2. The sporty TOM's kitted MR2 instantly caught my eye and jumped out of the page as I flicked through what then was a phone book sized Auto Trader. A trip up to up to leafy Banbury to view and test drive the car only cemented what i already knew, I loved everything about it. This was back in 2003 and by 2007 the car had transformed into what still to this day, it's known worldwide for. It's Celica lights and bold blue paint made it not only stand out from the crowd but set a benchmark for MR2 showcars. A benchmark that many would copy but none would ever beat. None of this would have been achievable without the talented team at Xquisite who turned my dream build into a reality. I still remember the feeling of excitement and pure happiness the day I collected the car. A feeling that you only get the first time you clap eyes on your freshly modified car.

My goal for the car was to have it featured on the front cover of a leading magazine, something people told me without tens of thousands of pounds would never be possible, but one the car achieved many times over. The most valuable one to me of course being it's Fast Car cover, thanks to Scary and Jules (congratulations to you both on getting the car over Max Power). I still remember flicking through the latest REVS, Fast Car and Max Power magazines with my mates, each of us building our own dream cars in our heads and wondering how awesome it would be to own one. Something that at that time I would never have imagined I'd do for myself.

The car was far from something just to get me from point A to B, it opened up a whole new social life that I never had prior to the modified car scene. I made only one long term friend at school and being a petrol head opened up new doors for me. Chances are most of you reading this know me through the scene, the rest of you know me as Nikki and don't give a sh*t about my stupid blue car. My point being I've made a lot of good friends through the scene, something I wouldn't have done had I not owned this car.

It was built during a time when big bodykits and wheels were the thing to have, something that much to my excitement is doing full circle once again. It was a time before Facebook, a time when the scene was driven by car clubs and forums exactly like this one. A forum created by people who loved cars and wanted to have a good time. No one would call you names or mug you off for doing what you wanted to your car. No one would look down at you for having wheels that sat slightly inside your arches or big spoilers. TeamShock was once a thriving forum for people to chat about anything they wanted, they all had one thing in common, their love of the scene and their willingness to go out and meet up with like-minded people.

The boom of social media has meant the death of forums like this. It gives people a whole new way of sharing their projects and chatting to people. It's also given trolls a platform to slate people for being creative and quash others dreams. Whilst I believe that as with any fashion, things move on. I also believe that it's the change in people’s attitudes that has led to the UK scene being so stale for so long. Someone once summed it up perfectly to me by saying "people build cars to fit in, we used to build cars to stand out". Fitting Celica lights to an MR2 was no easy feat (easy for me, not for Xquisite) but I did it because I wanted the best of the best. I wouldn't have been happy with an off the shelf bodykit, wheels and suspension. It's not something that had been done before, there was no guide to doing it, everything was based off a photoshop that a good friend of mine did for me. The engineering and skill that followed transformed it into a reality. It's refreshing to see bodykits making a comeback and I hope it will give people the encouragement to be more daring with their builds. There are some amazing cars in the UK built by some very talented people. If less people were afraid of what others would think the scene will grow again. My passion for the scene is as big today as it's ever been and I believe it's this that has established me as a freelance journalist.

I'd like to say a massive heartfelt thanks to everyone that has helped and supported this project. Kay who started off to me as just a guy who owns the bodyshop and became a close friend. Scary and Jules at Fast Car who not only were just as enthusiastic about the car as me but also gave me the opportunity to further my experience as a journalist by writing for the mag (no need to proof this, unless you want to buy it off me?). Dave at D:Class for his wonderful stitch work. Nathan at Century Motorsport, XS Power, SFS Performance, Sound Secure, Vibe Audio, Tony and Carmen and of course all my friends and family.

Ignore the hate, build the car you want and drive the scene forward.

Farewell MR2, you will be missed!

sidekickdmr Posted: 11am Thu (07/01/16), Location: Wokingham
Platinum member

Well coming back on here is a blast from the past, and I like the fitting tribute!

Farewell MR2!

If I did a farewell post for every car I sold this would still be the busiest forum on the internet Laughing

Hobbs "i can make dog poo clean"

Davey Posted: 11am Thu (07/01/16), Location: Reading
TeamShock God

14 years!! That's mental !!

Not sure I've had a car for 14 months!

All vehicles & scrap bought for cash
lauraka Posted: 12pm Thu (07/01/16), Location: Oxford/Cheltenham/Reading
TS Girlie Boss

Oh the nostalgia!!

www.dominoshots.moonfruit.com

Edgy Posted: 12pm Thu (07/01/16), Location: Wokingham
Gold member

Wow didn't even know this was still online. There must be some great memories on these pages.

Farewell and what a nice tribute!

RARARARARARARARARARARARARARARAER
nick Posted: 1pm Thu (07/01/16), Location: Reading
TeamShock Admin

lauraka wrote:
Oh the nostalgia!!

Your signature haha!

Least its within Dave's guidelines.

How strange to be chatting on here again!

h22a Posted: 1pm Thu (07/01/16), Location: Reading
Platinum member

Wow log in still works had to reset password though these were good times😞 Great car too👍

96 JDM TEG

nick Posted: 1pm Thu (07/01/16), Location: Reading
TeamShock Admin

I'm looking for the "like" button.

But I rembered, this is when we did it proper!

rsroadkilla Posted: 8am Fri (08/01/16), Location: Earley, Reading
Italian Superstar

Teamshock famalam!!!

Slapa' hoe!

DaveB Posted: 9pm Mon (11/01/16), Location: Reading
TeamShock Admin

Like!

DaveB Posted: 9pm Mon (11/01/16), Location: Reading
TeamShock Admin

I'll hand this forum over to Rowan before long. Smile

Matt.C Posted: 4pm Sun (07/02/16), Location: Wokingham
Platinum member

Nice write up. Farwell MR2, crazy you had it 14 years.

Qualified mechanic. Can weld and fabricate most things. Based in Wokingham. PM me for qoutes.

Chunky Posted: 1pm Mon (02/10/17), Location: Wokingham
TeamShock God

Blast from the past!

Hope everyone is doing well, we had some great times on here.

burch1988 wrote:
.5"hks bacbox with alot of angle for ya dangle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    teamshock Forum Index -> Car Chit-Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1